January 14, 2018
OpenFog Consortium to address fog computing’s key role in IoT, 5G, ‘Fogonomics’ at IoT Evolution
Workshop, presentations examine fog architecture, uses cases, security; speakers from Cisco, Dell, ZTE and Princeton University plus keynote from Arm, on the market impact of fog
WHAT: OpenFog Consortium’s activities during IoT Evolution Expo in Orlando from Jan. 22 to 25, 2018
SUMMARY: Traditional cloud-only models fall short in IoT, where the volume and velocity of data demand new approaches. Fog computing bridges the gap between the cloud and things to address the latency, network bandwidth and availability and privacy/security issues in IoT. Coordinated by the OpenFog Consortium, a fog computing workshop will examine how fog works in IoT environments, the open architecture for fog computing, use cases, 5G, security and more.
FOG COMPUTING WORKSHOP
- 1 p.m. Monday: Introduction to fog, the necessary architecture for IoT. Speaker: Lynne Canavan, Vice President of Marketing, OpenFog Consortium
- 1:30 p.m. Monday: IoT use cases that need fog. 5G in the IoT. Speaker: Jingyi Zhou, Standard Director, ZTE Corp.; fog in energy exploration and subsurface imaging. Speaker: Fangyu Li, postdoctoral research associate, College of Engineering, University of Georgia
- 2 p.m. Monday: The technology of fog computing: architectural overview and security considerations. Speakers: Charles Byers, Principal Engineer and Platform Architect with Cisco’s Corporate Strategic Innovation Group and co-chair of OpenFog Technical Committee; Arsalan Mosenia, Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Princeton University
- 3 p.m. Monday: Enabling fog: Viewpoints from pioneers and practitioners in fog. Panel discussion with audience Q&A. Panelists: Riaz Zolfonoon, Distinguished Engineer, RSA; Arsalan Mosenia, Princeton University; Chuck Byers, Cisco; Jingyi Zhou, ZTE. Moderator: Lynne Canavan, OpenFog Consortium
OTHER FOG-RELATED PRESENTATIONS
- 1 p.m. Tuesday: Security at the edge of IoT. Panelists: Jason Shepard, Dell; Riaz Zolfonoon, Technical Lead, Emerging Technology Group, RSA; Arsalan Mosenia, Research Associate, Princeton University.
- 9:30 a.m. Wednesday: Keynote by Rhonda Dirvin of Arm: “Fogonomics: The coming era of fog computing in IoT.”
- 9 a.m. Thursday: Finding answers at the edge. Speaker: Chuck Byers, Cisco
CONNECT: To schedule interviews with OpenFog participants, contact Ken Zeszetko at email@example.com or 321-213-1818. Ken also will be attending the conference.